Friday, December 23, 2016

5 Year Post Transplant

5 years ago today, right about now, 3:20pm, I received a very special phone call from the University of Utah Lung Transplant Clinic stating that they have a possible lung which might be available for me and could I get there as soon as possible. Are you kidding? I said YES and the rest is history. 5 years have gone by with no rejection of the lung I received and so many precious memories and fun experiences I have been given.
One of the drawbacks of a lung transplant is the medications required to keep the lung from rejecting a new body. They also lower the bodies normal ability to fight diseases. I have been very fortunate until this summer, a skin cancer invaded a gland below my left ear (parodit gland) necessitating surgery and some resultant nerve damage.
The cancerous tumor was removed and I am now undergoing radiation therapy for 6 weeks. The good news is a transplanted nerve may "come alive" during the year which will restore much of the numbness on the left side of the face and they also can do some plastic surgery - just have to be patient.  All in all, I am enjoying life with no pain and look forward to a wonderful 2017.
I have the most amazing kids, grand kids, extended family, friends and Doctors anyone could possibly ask for. Thank you all - Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! 

2 comments:

  1. Tonight we are so grateful for the many people who saved my husbands life. The surgical team who worked so many long hours on Christmas Eve 2011. Most important Dwight with his will to live and his incredible attitude. But there are several others I must mention also. Our children Janie, Bryan, and Carter got Dwight and me through this lifetime experience. They were with us constantly. Bryan drove back & forth from St. George in the middle of the night on the day of surgery as well as driving back to be with his family by late on Christmas Eve and morning only to pack them up & drive back on late Christmas Day. That's two 600 mile round trips within 36 hours. Carter & Janie both dedicated so many countless hours away from their young families right in the middle of Christmas. Both Janalyn & Amy were such good sports and so supportive during this time. I have not forgotten how supportive & loving they were. Also, Amy's parents Gail & Tom Conlin helped so much. They got Christmas Eve gifts for Janie's girls to open at Amy's family party. Then they brought the girls up to Janie at University Hospital as Dwight was coming out of the surgery. They stayed there with all of us & TC assisted Carter in administered a Blessing right in the ICU. Talk about being there for us! Anyway, so much was done by so many on that Christmas Eve of 2011. We will never gorget. Thank you all.
    &

    ReplyDelete